Manufacturing, energy and transportation companies are increasingly benefiting from Industry 4.0 applications after years of hype. The emergence of digital twins is one of the main reasons engineering and design teams are actualising these benefits for their enterprises.
What is a Digital Twin?
A digital twin is a virtual representation of real-world entities and processes, synchronized at a specified frequency and fidelity. Digital Twin Systems transform business by accelerating holistic understanding, optimal decision-making, and effective action.
“The Digital Twin is a set of virtual information constructs that fully describes a potential or actual physical entity from micro to macro level. As its optimum, any information that could be obtained by inspecting a physical object can be obtained from its Digital Twin.”
Digital twin core use cases
- Simulation: New production routines, physical lay outs or product behavior. Digital twin is less expensive and faster than running real campaigns in test mode and avoids risks and production losses.
- Prediction: With machine learning and artificial intelligence, critical aspects of processes, plant condition, and product quality can be predicted and adjusted to current circumstances.
- Training: The ideal replication of the real machines and processes in the virtual world combined with a 3D visualization, makes it easier, safer and faster for new operators to learn from simple tasks to complex process control or simulations.
- Optimization: By providing the behavior of a whole system, material flows, and working routines, it is possible to recognize bottlenecks in material or crane logistics utilizing production simulation.
- Know-how domain: All data, plans, layouts, processes and any other information can easily be broad together in a digital twin for any use case. Integrating third-party data is possible too.
How does a Digital Twin work?
Digital Twins use real-time and historical data to represent the past and present and simulate predicted futures. Digital Twins are motivated by outcomes, tailored to use cases, powered by integration, built on data, guided by domain knowledge, and implemented in IT / OT systems.
Technologies used in Digital Twins
- API & Open Standars: Provide the necessary tools to extract, share, and harmonize data from multiple systems that contribute to a single digital twin.
- AI: As an analytical tool, AI analyze obtained data, provide valuable insights and make predictions.
- XR: Due to its visualization capabilities, XR allows to digitally model physical objects and to interact with it in a more natural and safe way.
- Cloud: Cloud computing allows to store gained data in the virtual cloud and easily access them from any location.
- IoT: IoT sensors enable constant data transmission, which is used to create a digital duplicate of the physical object.
Why do you need a Digital Twin?
Digital Twins provide the means to transform any asset lifecycle. As the digital replica is enriched with operational building data, it becomes possible to predict system behavior, including failures before they happen, perform “what-If” simulations, and provide rich insights into the operation and utilization of the built asset. The knowledge accumulated can be used to plan future projects and improve design decisions for better ROI.
VReadyNow is a leader in the creation of Digital Twins based on 3D, XR enabled dynamic virtual environments and simulation applications for decision-support, training and operations optimization.
Digital Twin Benefits
- Increased Reliability: Monitor, simulate and control an asset, process, user interaction as an effective strategy to improve system performance.
- Reduced risk: Protect the health and safety of employees, the environment, and business objectives, by reducing asset and process-related incidents.
- Lower operational cost: Predict issues before breakdowns occur, order parts, and schedule repairs at times that don’t impact production goals.
- Improved production: Ensure product quality with insight into the performance of assets and processes in real-time to minimize impact on supply chain.
- Faster time to value: Leverage industry expertise, easy-to-use tools, and the Blueprint catalogue that provide the real-time capabilities that industry need.